Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weddings and Birthdays...

As someone who has recently experienced both a wedding (not mine) and a birthday (almost mine), I feel like I am in a position where I can offer my up to date opinion on both, with the feelings and associated emotions still fresh in my heart.





Weddings are great. Especially if the bride and groom are actually in love. Especially if you are a guest who gets to smile at the pretty dresses, cry at the vows and drunkenly stumble (dance?)around to the band at the reception...

I recently attended one of those weddings. It was beautiful. My girlfriends and I held hands and shed a few tears as we watched our totally hot friend/bride strut down the beach and get married to her long time boyf. As they said 'I do', I felt a surge of happiness for them.

Movies these days are really taking the piss. One minute a couple is getting married, next minute the best friend/ex/orthodontist pops up and says 'wait! I love you!' and BAM. Wedding off. Old finance out, new guy in. I mean, thats gross. You don't get married if your not 100% in love and committed in a forever kind of way, at least thats what my mother taught me.

For two simple words, 'I do,' can inspire some pretty full on emotions. Imagine how the bride and groom must feel. Imagine how brides and grooms everywhere must feel when they say it in todays society, where marriage has a somewhat damaged reputation.

Has marriage gone out of fashion? Has it become one of those things only some people do for real, like recycling? In todays society where independence is a survival instinct, people are losing their respect for one of the most sacred and beautiful traditions of all time.

Marriage isn't for everyone, but for those who chose it, it's one of life's most important events.
Dispite the high divorce rate, people still really do fall in love, get married and live happily ever after, no matter what you learnt on the E! channel.

Read this, I don't know how I feel about her first sentance....


Birthdays are so much better when you are five. All you have to do is open presents, attend your party and eat the cake. These days, if you don't organize it, it probably won't happen. If you do organize it, it probably wont happen right.

The best birthday I went to this year was yesterday. One of my posse turned 20. We didn't plan anything, we just did exactly what we felt like doing at the time. (we ended up at the beach, we ate, we drank, we made business cards...) Admittedly we did plan a few surprises for her.

The worst birthday I went to this year was a big party which was planned and agonized over for months. The poor birthday girl ended up in tears because at the last minute her DJ pulled out, the catering was all wrong and she ended up deciding, right before her grand entrance, that she hated her dress. To top it all off, only about 50% of the people she invited came. L-A-M-E.

Don't get me wrong, I have experienced lots of successful birthdays, but i guess what I'm trying to say is that a birthday should be about good times. A birthday shouldn't be turned into a 'who can throw the wildest party' competition.

Anyway thats just a page out of my brain on what I've bee thinking/feeling today.

5 comments:

Germ said...

Wedding can be seen as being outdated. Its like do people even get married anymore...? I know they do but it does seem like a rarity. I think what it comes down to personal choice and it does not mean that there is less love in the world.

The expenses of a wedding are often weighed out by the expenses of life.

Very few people save sex for marriage now so it may seem redundant.

Still a wedding can be a spectacular occasion where love is felt by everyone.

I think if I met the right person I'd want to walk down the aisle

emma mayer said...

Thanks for your comment, i totally agree. That blog i linked really made me question the motives behind modern day marriage.

I thinks it's totally a personal choice

Jennifer Mayer said...

I totally believe in marriage. It's true that very few people save sex for marriage now. It seems like people have sex and relationships in a totally nonchalant way. I mean what percentage of people will meet someone in a club and go home with them this weekend? People seem to be about "what feels good now." They go from person to person getting what they can and moving on to the next one when something goes wrong, leaving, at worst a string of children without a secure family, or, at best, broken hearts and a little bit of themselves behind them. I believe in marriage the old school 'till death do us part way' not the 'till I get bored and have an affair' way.

Anonymous said...

"Has marriage gone out of fashion?"...Perhaps its because i'm having a different cultural background but still i can't even imagine relating marriage to fashion. honestly, its something 'sacred' and fashion is something which never stay as it is. Basically fashion is something introduced as a marketting strategy and how could it possibly influence the most important aspect of human life? We have moved far away from the bases of humane values.

Amit said...

Yes, for me wedding is a great occasion. In my home country, India, this is the biggest and more valusbe celebration. Specially in Hindu family, its matter a lot.

All your relatives and friends come to attend the marriage. They stay for two or three days at your home and celebrate all together.

Drinking is against your customs and values but you cab drink alcohol with your age group but not in the front of your elders.
I still remember the day of my marriage and it reminds me my home country- India